Organizers of the 2013 Game Developers Conference are announcing the eight winners of its new award program – ‘Best in Play’ – for exhibitors in the three-day GDC Play 2013 event, which allows emerging developers to show their games in a specially designed kiosk.
The winners, picked from more than 70 exhibitors currently at GDC Play, include the beautifully landscaped, mech-based first-person shooter Hawken by Meteor Entertainment for PC and the extremely physical and collaborative micro challenge game Spin the Bottle by KnapNok Games for Wii U.
For the new Best in Play award program, all GDC Play exhibitors were judged on their in-development or complete games by a panel of veteran GDC organizers and Gamasutra editors. All Best in Play winners receive 2 All Access Passes to the 2014 Game Developers Conference.
Winners for Best in Play will also receive special designations for their kiosks at GDC 2013, where their games will be playable by all GDC attendees. GDC All-Access Pass holders can contact all GDC Play exhibitors via the currently operating GDC Play Matchmaking Software.
The Best in Play winners are as follows:
- IMPIRE : Cyanide Studio – Play Kiosk 53
- Grooh: digiDingo ag – Play Kiosk 59
- Spin the Bottle: KnapNok Games – Play Kiosk 39
- HAWKEN: Meteor Entertainment – Play Kiosk 18 and 47
- Monsters Invade: Oz Little Box Apps – Play Kiosk 46
- Space Qube: Qubit Games – Play Kiosk 26
- Krautscape: Team Krautscape – Play Kiosk 56
- Mini Moto Racing EVO: The Binary Mill – Play Kiosk 74
Best in Play Honorable Mentions:
- Roaming Fortress Brisk Mobile Inc. Play Kiosk 29 View Trailer
- Monster Night Defense: eHooray Co., Ltd. – Play Kiosk 44 View Trailer
- Fractured Soul: Endgame Studios – Play Kiosk 73 View Trailer
- Fist Puncher: Team2Bit – Play Kiosk 24 View Trailer
- Infinity Wars: Lightmare Studios – Play Kiosk 76 View Trailer
- Dungeon Dashers: Jigxor – Play Kiosk 77 View Trailer
- Wizard Ops Tactics: Phyken Media – Play Kiosk 3 View Trailer
- Super Motherload: XGen Studios – Play Kiosk 41 View Trailer
All of these games will be available to play in a new, expanded onsite location this year for GDC Play 2013. The expo will take place Tuesday-Thursday, March 26-28, and will be in the South Hall’s Gateway Ballroom, in a prominent position directly opposite the main GDC Expo floor.
All GDC 2013 passholders may attend the GDC Play Expo area. GDC still offers over $100 discounts to select pass purchases made by March 20th, at 11:59pm EST, with prices increasing for onsite registration. GDC 2013 itself will take place March 25-29 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.